Surf or Sound

Surf or Sound




Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I pick out our rental houses almost a year in advance since I'm picky. Want OF, pet friendly , carpet, master on top floor, etc. So, I have our spring house with Surf or Sound for May. Executed the lease in August and paid the initial payment. Last week I found out my dog has to have an elbow replacement (headed to MSU) after the first of the year. This was totally unplanned and unexpected. I and the the surgeon thought we had a few years to conservatively manage him. Not the case. I contacted Surf or Sound and asked them if they would move my reservation to one of two open weeks in October. This lady is just unwilling to assist. Told me it's an executed lease nothing she can do. Very cold and unpersonable. I really just need to move the May week to October. We travel twice a year to Hatteras Island. I've asked her to reach out to the owner to see if they would approve the swap. Am I being unreasonable in my request? I'll be there in a few weeks so I plan to stop in and try to reason. I'm not trying to get out of a week, just move it. The house is nicely booked so I am sure that may week would go fast.

Any advice or am I just screwed?


OBX Connection Sponsored Links




RE: Surf or Sound




Sounds like you need to move up the power chain. I suspect that the person answering the phone does not have the power to grant your request. You need to get to the manager. Be frim but kind. Did you take out the insurance, if so this may be a qualifying event. Keep us posted.


RE: Surf or Sound




Sounds like you need to move up the power chain. I suspect that the person answering the phone does not have the power to grant your request. You need to get to the manager. Be frim but kind. Did you take out the insurance, if so this may be a qualifying event. Keep us posted.

Gettysburg Lady


While my pups are my emotional support for me, they are not registered service dogs. I checked on Red Sky and they state "service dogs". So that option is out. I guess I was expecting the rental agency to just move the week for me given the situation. The thought of surgery has me completely stressed out. It's high risk and a last resort to save him. It also costs 10k give or take a few for just the surgery plus about 600 a month for up to four months of rehab. Plus I have to spend 7 to 10 days in Lansing near the college (I live in Cleveland) while he recovers. Now I'm stressing about the rental house money and the loss I'd take there. I treat the family so there is no option for them to pay and go without me.

I'll ask for a manager when I'm town the week of the 21st. Can't believe it's so close! smiley


RE: Surf or Sound




Something similar came up at our place. Renter simply wanted to switch weeks in the same year to one that was the same price. Our PM said per the contract they needed to get the owners permission to switch weeks, which we said of course. Agree you should speak to someone higher in the chain. No reason they shouldn't at least ask the owner.


RE: Surf or Sound




I did switch weeks with SEASIDE Vacations when my daughter was going to be too pregnant to be away from home. I think we paid a penalty but switched months to an available week.


RE: Surf or Sound




Go to the Dare County tax page and type in the address and contact the owner directly. Chances are since the house is pet friendly they are dog owners themselves and would understand. If the October rent is cheaper offer to still pay the lease price. Good luck!


RE: Surf or Sound




Hey thee - so sorry to hear that you're having trouble...

Although I have rented through Surf or Sound - I haven't switched weeks with them. I did however recently switch weeks with Joe Lamb and it was really a non issue. I was asked to write an e-mail explaining why I'd like to switch weeks ( I even switched houses too!) and if approved by the owner then I could switch. The owner replied within a week or so and we began the process to switch our rental weeks and houses.

I agree with others that have stated you might want to escalate your request a bit higher - being there in person should help as well. Good luck with the switch and more so with your baby!


RE: Surf or Sound




The person that canceled my reservation forwarded my request to contact the owner to the manager. As someone mentioned above, I even offered to pay the same rate for the week in October. The leasing agent refused to escalate and just told me no. Hopefully the other person actually escalates my request. Fingers are crossed. The house is Island Jewel in case anyone is looking for a nice OF for week of 5/9 in Rodanthe

This is the boy causing my current high stress level.






RE: Surf or Sound




I deal with Surf or Sound and this seems so weird. This year for the first time they take a deposit that they keep if you transfer dates or houses, but you should still be able to do it without a problem. I hope they take care of it for you - it seems like such a reasonable thing to ask.


RE: Surf or Sound




Also, did you already sign the lease for next year?? I reserved my house for next June in June if this year and still don’t have a lease - they haven’t even released the exact amount I’ll owe yet.


RE: Surf or Sound




Sent you pm.


RE: Surf or Sound




Sent you pm.

h8peta


Also sent you a PM.


RE: Surf or Sound




Also, did you already sign the lease for next year?? I reserved my house for next June in June if this year and still don’t have a lease - they haven’t even released the exact amount I’ll owe yet.

Kat0922


I did. I paid the small hold fee months ago. That's probably why I was sent my lease. I had to sign it on 8/18 and pay the 200ish payment.

I have no idea why but they will just not let me switch weeks. If I don't hear back from the manager, I will stop in while there.


RE: Surf or Sound




You should have zero concern that this house won't rent for the week you need to jettison. Wink smiley

I will keep you, Asher, and the rest of your family in my thoughts and prayers.


RE: Surf or Sound




The person that canceled my reservation forwarded my request to contact the owner to the manager. As someone mentioned above, I even offered to pay the same rate for the week in October. The leasing agent refused to escalate and just told me no. Hopefully the other person actually escalates my request. Fingers are crossed. The house is Island Jewel in case anyone is looking for a nice OF for week of 5/9 in Rodanthe

This is the boy causing my current high stress level.

Cryogirl


He is absolutely beautiful!!! I really hope this works out for you!



OBX Connection Sponsored Links