Quick background, this is our 17 year going to either Avon or Frisco......... Always last week of June and first week of July. I have never posted a trip report. While I enjoy reading them, posting them is just not my thing. However, This year I thought I would report on few ancillary points.
1. Just about everything is open. Most of the restaurants were seating folks inside and outside. All restaurants had call in/pick up service available. On the call in and pick up front, some were better at it then others.....Makes sense as its "new this season". In Avon, Bro's Sandwich place was the best at it by far.
2. Without igniting the mask debate fire, I will say that many, many people were NOT wearing masks. Many store employees ( not that we went into a bunch of stores) were not wearing a mask. This bothered me more than the general public not wearing one in that those workers are exposed to EVERYONE that enters the store and indoors to boot.... I would think they would wear a mask. We saw zero anger or violence towards those not wearing masks.
3. We had less interaction with people in general this year than any year in the past. But, the interactions we did have were the same as always, kind people having general conversations about non specific topics. NO, the "locals" DO NOT hate you. They are not angry with you. They are not harassing you and not going out of their way to intimidate or bother you in any way. YOUR VEHICLE IS SAFE!
4. Frisco beach, behind the Billy Mitchell airport, was more crowded than ever before........ Having said that, it was not as crowded as the beaches you are seeing on the news packed with people blanket to blanket and there was still room for plenty more people.
4. It was very easy to have a good time, have our "outer banks vacation" and maintain social distancing as we felt necessary.....In the villages, social distancing is kind of "baked in"...It's one of the things we have always loved about being there. No huge crowds, no rush to do anything.
Finally, We fully enjoyed the vacation. Having the entire family in one place at the same time for two weeks is just good for the soul. It was a different experience this year, but not so different that it was foreign. My wife and kids missed shopping (in general we tried not to go inside too many places) and we all missed dining out.
Okay, this is really the conclusion this time....... If you are on the fence about your trip, I say go......The beach is the beach. The people are the same as they have always been. Keep the TV turned off. Stay off your news feed and enjoy the time with your family and/or friends. Salt water, fresh air, family and friends. I think we could all use a dose of this medication about now!!
Peace and dancing bananas to you all.