Storm Oh no!!!!

By: MichiganJulia
11/15/2019 3:02 PM

Yes, you are adventurious people!! I think I'd probably want to turn around & head for home, but my husband would want to drive it all the way into the storm!!! The hotel sounds like the best thing to do. Either in VA or someplace NOT along the ocean. The wind & surf will be pretty bad. Where are you coming from? There was also a warning for Hwy 77 of a road closure due to accident, but I'm sure if you are going that way it will be cleared up.
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do......keep us posted!!

Like +2QuoteFlag



By: JoyinVirginia
11/15/2019 3:09 PM

I just checked facebook page for Fish Heads, on Outer Banks Pier. Milepost 18.5 in south Nags Head, Here is their message:
"What a mess of a weekend! We going to be CLOSED this weekend as the Nor’easter approaches today and continues through Sunday. We have boarded up our curtains and moved all the chairs and tables under the roof With winds expected to be up to 70 mph we are hunkered down! We will reopen next week!"
I would revise advice to Stay Home, until it's passed by.

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 3:20 PM

Oh, Thanks well,, I have to be Happy about getting away just hoping it will be for the full week,, we need this adventure,, I will look at that area and that Hotel Thank you so much,,Last time we stayed there we rented a house for One Day on VRBO the price was very high so I think no one day rental of houses we can stay In a hotel for a night,,
Yes traveling with two dogs isn't easy,, we cant travel light... brinigng one cage for the wild chid and blankets and my one dog sleeps in a tent ,, yay and his special pillow, a Dog pen,,, Luckily they seem to like it and Im thinking because they get Special Treats,, burgess, Ice cream Only on Vacation,, so Lets hope that we get some place and out of heresmiley
Appreciate that site Ill show The Hubby when he gets home,,
Glued to the weather Channel over here!!!!
Love your Profile pic!!!!!!!

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 3:29 PM

Yes, you are adventurious people!! I think I'd probably want to turn around & head for home, but my husband would want to drive it all the way into the storm!!! The hotel sounds like the best thing to do. Either in VA or someplace NOT along the ocean. The wind & surf will be pretty bad. Where are you coming from? There was also a warning for Hwy 77 of a road closure due to accident, but I'm sure if you are going that way it will be cleared up.
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do......keep us posted!!

MichiganJulia



hahahah WE are traveling from Long Island,,, so its a long trip,, but, we LOVE the outer banks ,, I just hope we can get there and see If we can get into rental,, The Husband needs this but, I also think just getting out of the house and seeing the Ocean will be helpful,, and I just pray we can get some fishing in,, Poles are packed and just bought some new tackle equipment,, Julia I think your adventurous your Profile Pic says it all,,, Hanging with Sharks!!!!! Fish Fish

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Aliphatic
11/15/2019 3:44 PM

I just checked facebook page for Fish Heads, on Outer Banks Pier. Milepost 18.5 in south Nags Head, Here is their message:
"What a mess of a weekend! We going to be CLOSED this weekend as the Nor’easter approaches today and continues through Sunday. We have boarded up our curtains and moved all the chairs and tables under the roof With winds expected to be up to 70 mph we are hunkered down! We will reopen next week!"
I would revise advice to Stay Home, until it's passed by.

JoyinVirginia


I respectfully disagree. Bunny says she and her husband need an adventure. As long as they have some cash to throw around, I say they should go have an adventure. She could stay in a hotel in Chesapeake for a night or two to watch the situation on OBX. During that time they could do some exploring around VA beach, granted the weather might not be great but who cares? It's an adventure!

If there is anything that being evacuated from Dorian three days into a fourteen-day OBX vacation has taught me is that you can't let a storm make you turn tail and run home. Go explore! You can find nice places to stay even with two dogs! I should know, I pulled it off!

When the storm surge settles, the OBX will be there waiting for you. smiley

Like +2QuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 4:11 PM

Yes, well adventure begins soon,, watching carefully but, I did like Virginia so maybe we spend a day or two there,, Plus last time we stayed we went to the beach and a family of dolphins swam by,, We couldn't believe it,, We are hoping maybe roads clear late Sat night,, our house is ready after 5 On Sat night ,, so fingers crossed,,In some ways Old me would say Noway ,, but, the New me says we try and hoover around the area,,, If its real bad I suppose we can try and Go Visit My best friend maybe stay at a hotel near her,, Its all good,,
Wow you did this when a storm happened Im guessing It was the last storm,,?
Yes The Outerbanks is like My new Obsession,, even If I have to cook every night,,,The simple beauty and peace,, and teh dogs get such a kick out of the sand and the Ocean!!!!We were In Rodanthe last month and just a few days On the beach I felt so rejuvenated !!! Pizza Island Dog Dog Lucky Fish Fish Thumbs up

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Halftime
11/15/2019 4:37 PM

Go to the NCDOT NC 12 facebook page and scroll down to the October 10 -14 time frame and you will see what a similar storm did a month ago. NC 12 was closed completely for several days and then opened sporadically for a few hours around low tide for a couple more days. That's probably the best case scenario for this storm. Worst case is the pavement buckles and has to be replaced which has happened previously in hurricanes. If that happens, they may let you through if you have 4 wheel drive. The local tow company brought in car towing trailers and carried vehicles thru that area. If dire situations they will run emergency ferries from Rodanthe to Stumpy Point on the mainland.

Not trying to discourage you, just want you to be prepared. I think you should go; it will be an adventure.



www.facebook.com/NCDOTNC1...

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: RAHohio
11/15/2019 4:53 PM

Everyone else offered up good advice.
My only addition is that we stayed oceanfront in the spring. Had 35mph sustained winds with 50+mph gusts. There was literally sand coming in the cracks of the house door. My daughter thought he brother had come in and was shaking her bed at night. And you had to hold on to car doors with 2 hands when opening and closing so they didn't get away from you.

LikeQuoteFlag


By: MichiganJulia
11/15/2019 6:55 PM

Just checked the weather forecast - again for the 100th time - and it's true Sat & Sun look awful...BUT, Monday thru Sunday next week (while you are there!!) It will be SUNNY every day. So, there is hope,
light at the end of the wet tunnel. Go for it.!! Sun Sun Sun

Like +2QuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 7:00 PM

Oh thankssmiley ,, well as of now we have packed the car,, but, I think we will get up early and watch the news see what is happening,,,,all i know is YES!!! Sun wold be lovely even just a few days,,,, hopefully,, Fish Fish Pray Fish Fish Fish Dog Dog Lucky Lucky Lucky Lucky

LikeQuoteFlag


By: larich
11/15/2019 8:13 PM

Bunnyny Marriott Towneplace Suites in KDH is pet friendly as most Towneplaces are.

Like +3QuoteFlag


By: W&M OBX
11/16/2019 10:42 AM

Bunnyny Marriott Towneplace Suites in KDH is pet friendly as most Towneplaces are.

larich


Good call there. Plus it's very new (just opened this summer) and guarantee it won't be crowded! You could stay there, be safe, wait out the storm until you can get on Hatteras, and still be at the beach.

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: izzymcgee
11/16/2019 3:08 PM

Rt 12 will be a mess for at least 3 days ......Good luck getting in and hopefully off . I would delay until Sunday .

LikeQuoteFlag


By: robluc
11/16/2019 3:13 PM

Go to the NCDOT NC 12 facebook page and scroll down to the October 10 -14 time frame and you will see what a similar storm did a month ago. NC 12 was closed completely for several days and then opened sporadically for a few hours around low tide for a couple more days. That's probably the best case scenario for this storm. Worst case is the pavement buckles and has to be replaced which has happened previously in hurricanes. If that happens, they may let you through if you have 4 wheel drive. The local tow company brought in car towing trailers and carried vehicles thru that area. If dire situations they will run emergency ferries from Rodanthe to Stumpy Point on the mainland.

Not trying to discourage you, just want you to be prepared. I think you should go; it will be an adventure.

Halftime




They need to build a bridge or something around that area.

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: ish
11/16/2019 3:36 PM

I have a lot of respect for the people of Hatteras & Ocracoke. It's a lot of worry, all the time, being able to get on - off the island after a long drive from home. The prospect of having your car flooded in your own driveway etc. It's all just too much for me to ever own a home down there.

There are some difficulties with access and beach driving during a storm in the 4x4 area for sure, but once you are home you are safe for sure. We've been in Corolla for all kinds of Nor'easters and we were in Swan Beach for the last hurricane but both houses are in X Zones on nice high lots. We slept thru much of the storm with jeeps and trucks tucked safely in the garages.

I just don't think I would be able to rest for a minute with tides rushing around and under my house and my truck exposed in the driveway. It just isn't for me Sad smiley

Best wishes and prayers for everyone

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: izzymcgee
11/16/2019 3:51 PM

True Ish it is a very troubled area when it comes to weather conditions .I have been going to the OBX for over 30yrs and find HI to be just what I need . I would love to own a piece of it but the endless concern would outweigh that . I was down after Dorian and you got to credit residents for being so strong!!

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/18/2019 12:55 PM

all settled now finally after unpacking car to a house rental in Kill devils hill,, looks like we will be here not sure how long its Monday so,,,???,, but its roomy and dogs are a happy,, just waiting again praying for Tuesday,,, but, haven't heard a peep ,, In the end this is still better than the Hotel and its a wonderful house so feeling lucky we can move around again,, I will cook tonight,,,, but, its great have. full kitchen and we have a lot of food,, well kids,, this is a wild adventure for sure and just feeling happy to have more space and private backyard ,,hope to get to Salvo soon,, well at least to spend a few days in the other house rental and maybe catch a fish,,, itching to fish,, but prayers for all,,,

LikeQuoteFlag


By: tangelo53
11/18/2019 1:36 PM

Quick question.... with Rt 12 being closed, wouldn't your travel insurance kick in at that point and allow you to cancel? I can't imagine that wouldn't qualify for reimbursement if you can't even get to your house.

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/18/2019 1:50 PM

hubby didn't get it,, Banana

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/18/2019 2:03 PM

hubby didn't get it,, Banana

LikeQuoteFlag


By: tangelo53
11/18/2019 2:49 PM

hubby didn't get it,, Banana

Bunnyny


Oh ok. I was wondering if the insurance was maybe a scam LOL We always buy it but if they aren't covering, I could save couple hundred dollars by opting out. Guess I will keep it smiley

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Aliphatic
11/18/2019 3:00 PM

hubby didn't get it,, Banana

Bunnyny


Oh ok. I was wondering if the insurance was maybe a scam LOL We always buy it but if they aren't covering, I could save couple hundred dollars by opting out. Guess I will keep it smiley

tangelo53


On a note about trip insurance. I was booked for 2 weeks in OBX, one week in Corolla and one week in Frisco this past September. Dorian rolled through and we were evacuated. We got 4 nights in the Corolla house which I paid about $7,000 for the week and I got back $3,100 from trip insurance. I paid $4,500 for the Frisco house and got back $4,100 from trip insurance. Frisco was a trip cancellation since we couldn't get there due to the mandatory evacuation.

Out of the 11,500$ I paid for two weeks at the beach, insurance gave me back ~$7,200$

LikeQuoteFlag