Storm Oh no!!!!

By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 7:13 AM

Hi, we hoped to leave 4 am tonight to arrive In Outer banks around 2 pm,, Saturday,, now a little scary with this storm,,, we are traveling with two dogs my precious babies,, so now trying to figure out to we go earlier ,, or just lose a few days of our vacation,,, Sad smiley

LikeQuoteFlag



By: Greg MD
11/15/2019 7:56 AM

The latest forecast is looking rough. Sand starts blowing around 15 mph and the winds are forecast to be 2 to 3x that so your dogs will be miserable outside. Add in the strong possibilities of surge flooding, over wash, closed roads, power outages, vehicle damage, etc. The storm will last two days +/-, the after affects will likely be a few more days. You know your tolerances better than anyone else, go with your gut feeling.

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: JoyinVirginia
11/15/2019 8:34 AM

[Note: I like storms, I like to watch the angry ocean.] If you are staying north of Oregon Inlet I would say go, if you are staying south of the Bonner, I mean Basnight Bridge, I would postpone. Overwash is expected to be bad on Pea Island and announcement link below also says Kitty Hawk. NCDOT 12 has a facebook and twitter page, here is announcement from Thursday afternoon:
"A weather event is forecasted to impact weekend travel on the Outer Banks. We cannot predict the specifics, but you can get more info here > bit.ly/2pnuMK2 You can visit DriveNC.gov for 24/7 road conditions or weather.gov for weather updates."

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: Tim-OBX
11/15/2019 8:42 AM

I would agree with Joy. Hatteras will get it worse than the northern areas. Where are you staying if regards to the ocean? Oceanfront will be a bit scary with 50+ winds.

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 8:43 AM

Hi, we are staying In Salvo,, starting Saturday but, we planned a ten hour trip,, Im having hard time finding anything in the news,, Thank goodness MY Best Friend Lives In North Carolina and she just gave me this alert,, because she knew we would be leaving tonight ,How horrible it would be If we count get in ,,Plus I have my two dogs and I have to worry about them,,We wouldn't mind watching the storm In our house rental but, Fearful that sat morning we couldn't even get in if Highway 12 is closed,, any updates appreciated since this News I cant seem to find,,
Just want to get to Our Peaceful outer banks and rest not going to be easy ,, Thank you to all with any Information!! Fish Pizza Lucky

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 8:45 AM

WE have house in Salvo right about 70 feet from the beach,, Scary because we wont want our car to get flooded ,, the only way we get in is Hwy 12

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Aliphatic
11/15/2019 8:56 AM

12 S is notorious for flooding and being impassable right after the Basnight before you get into Rodanthe.

If you’re gonna go, I would leave literally right now and stock up on supplies as you may not be able to get north to Nags Head or south to Avon for groceries for a few days.

Waves Deli and the convenience stores might have enough to get you by for a few days. You’ll also need to figure out where you are sleeping tonight and possibly tomorrow night if the current guests in your house literally can’t leave tomorrow.

I’m no south of the Bonner expert by any means, so others can feel free to correct me.

Just my two cents.

I also doubt trip insurance will pay out without a mandatory evacuation order for a trip interruption so you’ll likely just be eating the loss if you stay home.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 9:18 AM

Oh, yes, well would leave now but, Husband is at work LOL!! But, Now we are thinking maybe not leave Until Sunday If roads are open we would lose one day but, I guess updates on If the roads are open ,,, This is so sad husbands last day at work so we thought this would be a good place to stop and rethink our paths in life Jobwise,,and what our new future could be,, Well I suppose we just stay put now and I guess Just cherish the few days we will hope fully get,, OH Yes Husband just Informed me he didnt Buy the insurance ,, AUGHHHHHH,,
Being that our house rental Is 70 feet from ocean Im thinking this will be flooded,,

Well tonight this is us Pizza Beer Martini Glass Serious smiley Serious smiley Dog Dog
sitting home praying we can eventually get to our Place''The Outerbankssmiley

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 9:21 AM

Yes, We see the house is booked Until Sat when we were supposed to arrive,, thinking the people would probaly have to stay anyway,,or we would have new best friends!!!! Theeth smiley

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Aliphatic
11/15/2019 9:30 AM

Oh, yes, well would leave now but, Husband is at work LOL!! But, Now we are thinking maybe not leave Until Sunday If roads are open we would lose one day but, I guess updates on If the roads are open ,,, This is so sad husbands last day at work so we thought this would be a good place to stop and rethink our paths in life Jobwise,,and what our new future could be,, Well I suppose we just stay put now and I guess Just cherish the few days we will hope fully get,, OH Yes Husband just Informed me he didnt Buy the insurance ,, AUGHHHHHH,,
Being that our house rental Is 70 feet from ocean Im thinking this will be flooded,,

Well tonight this is us Pizza Beer Martini Glass Serious smiley Serious smiley Dog Dog
sitting home praying we can eventually get to our Place''The Outerbankssmiley

Bunnyny


I think that's a wise move, then. If you can't get to the tri-villages by this evening then you are best to just stay home. Wait until Sunday morning and see what conditions are like and go from there. Hopefully, there won't be too much damage and you can get in late Sunday night or Monday sometime.

LikeQuoteFlag


By: HopSkipandJump
11/15/2019 9:39 AM

You can go to DriveNC.gov to check out road closures and conditions

DriveNC.gov

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: OceanBlue
11/15/2019 10:16 AM

Another well known source of real time info is Oregon Inlet Idiots: Click to follow link...

On the insurance thing - I'm not an expert by any means but I thought insurance only covered specific evacuation calls by Dare County? If no evac is formally called then insurance is not triggered.

I so feel for folks in your situation - not sure where in NC your friend lives, but heading their way and "hovering" might not be a bad option (assuming your pups and your friend are cool w what might potentially be an extended stay).

12 was closed for several days following STS Melissa earlier last month.

Click to follow link...

Also, if you do drive through standing water (and it sounds like you will) make sure when you get home to really flush your vehicles under carriage (ideally with something like Salt-Away) and each corners brake assy.

Good luck and Godspeed to you guys, on both the vaca and job thing.

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 10:33 AM

She lives In Fuqua Varina North Carolina,, but, she has Three cats and I have a boxer and a rat terrier ,, her cats are indoors so Im thinking this would be a disaster,, My dogs dont like cats from what I see when the see one in the window,,,but, now we are thinking maybe we sit and than drive as close as we can until route 12 is open,, and of course the house we rented isn't damaged,,
Any all Updates are so appreciated ,, Trying to pack and just pretend that things will be ok ,Poles are already in car!!! I suppose we will bring some Food now and of course going to get those Beverages just in case!!!!Hope everyone out there will be ok!! Bloom Fish Car Umbrella Star

LikeQuoteFlag


By: hoi toide
11/15/2019 10:54 AM


By: Tim-OBX
11/15/2019 10:59 AM

Whoever is there now might very well leave early to get away from this storm. We have had some bad ones near Thanksgiving back in 2008, 9 and 2010 all had bad storms that caused overwash in the KDH area. This was Kitty Hawk in 2009.



LikeQuoteFlag


By: judyk
11/15/2019 11:14 AM

If you plan to use the CBBT, watch the wind. The bridge will issue crossing restrictions for various wind speeds

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 12:30 PM

Thanks everyone,, any bit of information is precious to us,,, Poor Husband last day at work and now he is stressing abut this,, Thinking we will wait a bit and perhaps see what happens Tomorrow,,Let him choose but, I kind of think The hi way 12 will be close tonight and tomorrow if not more,, sadly,, but, I suppose its not snowing!!!!!

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Halftime
11/15/2019 12:36 PM

NC DOT Travel Information Site. This spot north of Rodanthe will be your likely trouble spot.



tims.ncdot.gov/tims/Regio...

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: J4yDubs
11/15/2019 1:18 PM

NC DOT Travel Information Site. This spot north of Rodanthe will be your likely trouble spot.

Halftime

Yup, just north of that camera. Called the S curves. 12 WILL be closed there. They clear it pretty quickly, but the next high tide will close it again. The jug handle bridge will help out a lot when it's finished.

My advise, since you are traveling with dogs, would be to wait until Sunday. Check out the situation then and make further plans. If you didn't have the dogs, I'd say head on down and find a place main land to stay until you can get in.

Good luck! Hope it turns out great for you.

John

Like +2QuoteFlag


By: OceanBlue
11/15/2019 1:26 PM

Another view (if not a surfline subscriber you can view after watching the ads) as it's a 50/50 as to which cam will belly up first.

Click to follow link...

Like +1QuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 1:49 PM

Cams are Brilliant and Once again all Information is golden to us ,,, still not sure whats going on but, we are going to pack up alot of food just in case,, well I think this will be a adventure we can talk about for yearssmileyBe safe anyone else thats in the areasmiley Lucky Dog Dog Pizza Car Cloud Fish Fish

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Tim-OBX
11/15/2019 2:19 PM

I'd come Sunday and see if you can even get to the house. Trust me! You won't miss anything you will be sorry about!!

LikeQuoteFlag


By: MichiganJulia
11/15/2019 2:24 PM

You said you have a 10 hour drive, so I assume you are pretty far away from obx!! Here's what I would do...leave as planned or even a couple hours later & drive as far toward the obx as you can. Look for a pet friendly motel (hotel) and stay there until this storm is over. Of course Hwy 12 still might a mess. I really feel bad for you guys. Almost looks like a no win, no win situation. Can you call the rental agency in Salvo to find out what the situation is when you get closer to obx.? If the highway 12 is closed, maybe they can get you a rental up North of the Bridge (Nags Head, KDH, etc)

Keep us up to date on your situation ok?? (The situation with your NC friends doesn't sound good....with cats & dogs!!!)

Like +2QuoteFlag


By: Bunnyny
11/15/2019 2:39 PM

Hi, well The Real estate rental called us just said to be careful, and alerted us thats there is a storm coming,,, and Know we are thinking the same maybe we leave,, and I found a few Hotels on BOOK Fido so we would all maybe have to sleep over in a Hotel,,, thats close enough and wait,, ,, not sure where Virginia maybe ,, Yes this is going to be a adventure,, Luckily the dogs like new houses and the beach,, and so do I!!!!
My friends house is just to far and complicated with her cats and they hate dogs,,,
and Now we hope to get to Our beautiful rental house by the ocean,,,going to be extra careful because of the dogs but, I know they will love a hotelsmileyI want the fancy soaps!!!!
Yes, I will give a diary as I can and hope that is wont be as bad ,, Red rose Bloom Dog Dog Lucky Cloud Car Fish Fish
Anyone with any info as the day and night comes will be appreciated I have written all the NC sites down,,
I told my husband we are now adventurous people Party Party Star

LikeQuoteFlag


By: Aliphatic
11/15/2019 3:00 PM

I like your attitude Bunny!

Take a look around Chesapeake, VA for hotel rooms. There are a couple of hotels in that area that are nice and pet-friendly. You could book a night there for tomorrow into Sunday to see what developments are like for this storm. Chesapeake is only about a 2.5-hour drive from Salvo, which could help break up your travel time, too.

I also have two dogs that I travel with to OBX multiple times a year. Check out the Hyatt Place in Chesapeake/Greenbrier, they are pet-friendly and have king bedrooms available for tomorrow night at 99$/night + taxes and fees.

Click to follow link...

Check this thread later frequently. OBC will keep you posted smiley



Like +1QuoteFlag