Last summer, we were able to add 3 nights on to our rental at the beginning of our trip just a few days before we left. We were there 10 nights, and it was great! We lucked out, the house didn't rent the week prior to ours, which is what we were hoping would happen but couldn't count on. The extra nights cost more than we thought it would and more than we had planned for, but it worked out.
We would like to have a trip longer than a week again this summer, and it was a little harder to plan time off work and such not knowing that we were leaving on Wednesday until 3 days before we left (I get it, but it would have been nice to know earlier). I doubt we have extra money to throw at a rental a few days before we leave this year, we are going to have to know what we're doing and plan for it. It looks like we have two options this summer:
#1 - typical one-week rental in a nicer/bigger house, similar to the one we stayed in last year that we absolutely loved. Not oceanfront but beach access directly across the street, community pool, good location in SNH. House had everything week needed and several extras that were nice to have.
#2 - full two-week rental in a house that is smaller and more basic. Between the highways in NH,a nice beach-box house that we have stayed in once before and it was fine; that was for a Thanksgiving trip. This house was clean had everything we need but no extras. For beach access, we had to go to the corner in either direction, and then one block to the Beach Road, with access directly across Beach Road.
We are easy to please, and the smaller house doesn't bother us. Both are pet friendly, the smaller one has 3 bedrooms while the bigger one has 4, but we are a family of 4 so either is fine. We don't have any physical issues, it isn't a big deal to walk further (or drive) to the beach access for us.
I'm not sure if our college-age son will go, regardless of how long we stay. He doesn't care for the beach, never has, and he might want to stay home. He came with us last year but he spent a lot of time at the house if he didn't want to do what we were doing. We won't force him to go, I have no problem with him staying home without us. He will have his car, and we will leave my husband's car at home, so if we go for 2 weeks, he could come down later if he wanted to (we could also take 2 cars down and he could come home when he was ready). He is hoping to get a summer job, and that may require him to stay behind anyway. I'm trying not to let this sway my decision either way because there is no way to know ahead of time what he will want to do. The rest of us will not skip vacation if he doesn't want to go. We could go somewhere else, which we are also considering, but the trip he would like to do is not in the budget.
So which would you choose?